Re: Non-profit IP Registry

  • From: Eric D. Madison
  • Date: Thu Jan 02 23:59:50 1997

Two questions come to mind with this:

One:
   How will portable/non-portable address space be effected.  Does the mean
that if I have non-portable address space, I can charge customers for
address space, and if it is portable, they have to pay $2500 per /24 to
have it registered to them?

Two:
   If an entity has address space already and does not require more space,
do they have to pay the fee or is this going to be grandfather claused?  I
know with domain names it was not that way, but that is only 50 bucks,
$2500 or more could put a lot of business off the net.

I guess this will make the routing table size come to a sudden and
screaching halt!

Eric

At 09:57 PM 1/2/97 -0500, Kim Hubbard wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Recently, there has been discussion concerning the need to keep IP issues
>separate from domain issues.  The stability of the Internet in part relies
>on the careful management of the Internet Protocol addresses.
>
>The point has also been made that the management of the IP space should
>be put in the hands of those that depend on it - the users.  Whether
>those users are ISPs, corporate entities, universities, etc., they
>should all play a role.
>
>To this end, Network Solutions, Inc. plans to create and initially fund
>a non-profit 501(c)6 organization to be known as The American Registry
>for Internet Numbers (ARIN) to manage the IP address space for the
>territories it currently administers, similar to the APNIC and RIPE
>regional IP registries.  This organization will be a non-profit
>spin-off of the current InterNIC IP group.
>
>Network Solutions, Inc. will initially fund ARIN until fees are imposed
>and will offer continued financing until such time as it is a stable,
>self-sufficient entity capable of funding itself through its membership
>dues, registration and maintenance fees.
>
>Details on the proposed organizational structure and 1997 funding
>model are located at http://rs.internic.net/arin.
>
>Questions regarding the proposal will be answered on the ARIN mailing
>list.  To subscribe, send mail to:
>
>	[email protected]
>
>	with "subscribe naipr" in the body along with your first and
>         last name.
>

>Regards,
>
>Kim Hubbard
>InterNIC Registry

      Eric D. Madison - Senior Network Engineer -
 ACSI - Advanced Data Services - ATM/IP Backbone Group
   24 Hour NMC/NOC (800)291-7889 Email: [email protected]