Re: Film at 11:00

  • From: Tony Li
  • Date: Wed Jan 01 21:30:20 1997

   tli or pferguso might be able to shed some light on the actual numbers,
   assuming he has the time and interest :)

cisco might consider those numbers a trade secret, so I'll decline.  I'll
simply point out that yours truly worked quite hard at conserving memory.
As you correctly point out, there is indeed the inevitable time space
tradeoff, and so some memory inefficiency is inevitable as there's only a
finite amount of time (always insufficient, natch ;-).

You might also recall that there's forwarding table, the cache, and then
the SSE data structures.  BGP is very efficient as a whole.  The problem is
that it's just a big messy problem.

Tony