Re: Film at 11:00

  • From: alex
  • Date: Wed Jan 01 11:17:45 1997

First, Happy New Year.

2'th, sorry for my mistake - I just meant 45K as Cisco 4500... Through
it have not changed issue seriously -:)

3'nd.. Do you mean VIP2 idea is worst then SSE idea?

>      Hmm, it's not news for us. 45K can hold core routing only as
>      inter-back-bone router, not more.
>
>      But why, why this crasy CISCO could not predict future when
>      they designed 45K routers? It was not difficult  for them
>      develop this box to cary 64 or 128MB RAM.
>
>      >      Looks like the 45k mark was reached:
>      >
>      >   Folks with 7000's and SSE's should start monitoring their memory
>      >   utilization via "show sse summary".
>
>   There's a couple of comments here:
>
>   First, 45k is not the limit.  More like 60k.  You'll pardon me for being
>   cautious.
>
>   The limitation is not DRAM.  It's the 64k words of SRAM that the SSE uses
>   for its high speed forwarding table.  You don't want to pay for 64Mbytes of
>   SRAM.  ;-)
>
>   When cisco's engineers designed the SSE, we knew very well what was
>   happening.  We expected to be given the opportunity to produce subsequent
>   hardware which implemented the SSE in an ASIC.  If, by that time, CIDR
>   hadn't killed off the exponential growth, we would have expanded the
>   address space.  Unfortunately, cisco management decided that the SSE ASIC
>   should not be implemented (a mistake which, to my knowledge, cisco has not
>   corrected).  Thus, the 7500 exists without an SSE.
>
>   Tony

---
Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)