Re: Policies affecting the Internet as a whole - Hitting where it hurts

  • From: Robert A. Pickering Jr.
  • Date: Fri Dec 27 23:48:58 1996

On Sat, 28 Dec 1996, David J N Begley wrote:

> The Internet was once a *co-operative* network;  whilst the Internet of
> today is clearly more commercial in nature compared to its academic and
> research origins, is it really all that much *less* co-operative?
> I know that I've reached the stage whereby I don't care if I add a whole
> domain to an email "blacklist" (don't receive any messages from said
> domain) due to only a few miscreants - it's become far easier to do that,
> than hit my head against the proverbial brick wall, trying to get ISPs in
> the U.S. to do something (despite providing all evidence available).

And it can continue to be a co-operative network.  But, if you eliminate
domains and people based on heresay, or because it's easier, then you
yourself are stifling that co-operation.  The sites in question
have no way to respond (they certainly can't send you email, and they
don't even know their on the list now).

> Read that some site is not co-operating to deal with troublemakers at the
> site?  No messing about, straight into the email blacklist.  It's not
> always possible for an organisation to provider 100% protection, either
> for its users or from its users, but at least *co-operating* to do
> *something* is a sign of willingness - and that has to be good for
> everyone.

I agree that this will wake up non-cooperative sites.  I don't have any
problem "blacklisting" a site that has shown that they take no action
or even encourage such behavior.  However, I'm very much against doing so
haphazardly, without notification or a chance to comply.  This is what
happened to my domain, and we have always acted responsibly (in my
opinion) and promptly to rogue users.  The problem is you can't really
stop the behavior beforehand, without impacting other users.  All you
can do is publish the customer agreements, get people to agree to them,
and then make damn sure you enforce them, so as not to attract the type
of people that behave in this manner.

> Think about it - we have nothing to lose, and everything to gain by
> solving the problem ourselves as members of the one global community.

Sure you do.  You have the very sense of cooperation that your trying
to re-instill in the Internet.  I certainly have a far smaller opinion
of AOl now (not that it was too high to begin with).  I'm certainly less
willing to cooperate with them if they have a problem in the future.
THEY are the ones that acted irresponsibly.  By blacklisting without
notification, definition, or ways to come into compliance with a policy
you limit my, and others, ability to cooperate.

> Cheers..

Ciao.

--
Robert A. Pickering Jr.                Internet Services Manager
Cincinnati Bell Telephone              [email protected]

           A Rough Whimper of Insanity (Information Superhighway)

PGP key ID: 75CAFF7D 1995/05/09
PGP Fingerprint: B1 63 0C 09 D8 2E 5D 69  BB 61 A2 92 22 37 63 C3