Re: Policies affecting the Internet as a whole - Hitting where it hurts

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Fri Dec 27 14:36:09 1996

On Fri, 27 Dec 1996, Chris A. Icide wrote:

> There is a certain individual at a certain ISP in the .ro domain.  I

> So,
> my question to you folks is, would something like the intentional black
> holing of the source network for this user (he apparently sources all
> attacks from one swamp Class C address) be an appropriate incentive
> to the ISP to deal with the problem?  If so, where would be a good place
> to announce such measures, their goal, evidence, etc?

If I were in your shoes I would write a press release explaining in
layman's terms what you are doing. Then hire a Romanian translator to
translate this and get the translation doublechecked by another
Romanian speaker who has some technical background. Make sure the press
release names the ISP clearly, i.e. MyISP Services of Lulu, Transylvania.

Then fax this press release to every newspaper, radio and TV station that
you can find in Romania. Try to include an inflammatory statement in the
press release like "If Romanians will not police themselves then we
will simply block them from the network". You can see how the press might
misinterpret such a statement as meaning that Romania is about to be
blocked from the entire Internet. This is good because it's what gets
lots of press coverage and that's what will wake up this ISP and the
other local ISP's to realize that they have to do something.

Simply blocking the one ISP will accomplish nothing because the hacker
will either switch ISP's or they will hack some other machine to use as
the launchboard for their attacks.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: [email protected]