Re: NAP/ISP Saturation WAS: Re: Exchanges that matter...

  • From: Brett D. Watson
  • Date: Sun Dec 22 04:01:49 1996

> On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Tony Li wrote:
>
> > You should be more specific about _why_ you want a MUCH bigger CPU.  IMHO,
> > the box needs more packet switching capacity (and more backplane
> > bandwidth), but there's enough CPU there for the OS.
>
> 	Recomputing larger route tables, especially OSPF. Tunneling.
> Encryption. Acess list filtering. Finer grain accounting (I'd love to see
> usage stats for each interface over a day or so right from the router).
> And most important to me, not becoming unusuable during a major routing
> change.

  well, there is netflow.  not quite the granularity you're probably
looking for but it helps.  and since frontier has signed an exclusive
deal with cisco i suspect they might start moving more of the "probe"
functionality into the routers and switches.  the cat5k now supports
a mini-rmon in the box.

-brett