DoS Attacks

  • From: Robert Laughlin
  • Date: Sat Dec 21 00:36:17 1996

Not all DoS attacks come in the form of packets.  A couple of months ago,
some unhappy person (not an employee or former employee even) placed a
single phone call to Bell Atlantic and another to our 800 provider, and
convinced them both to disconnect all our NOC voice, data and fax phone
lines as well as our 800 service.  The disconnects took place within a few
hours of the phone calls and also after the business offices were closed.
The upshot was, it took over 20 hours to get the service restored.  When
we tried to involve law enforcement, they laughed at us.

Just because you are paranoid, does not mean they aren't out to get you,
and will not find new ways to do it.

Best Regards and Seasons Greetings,
Robert Laughlin
DataXchange                sales:  800-863-1550            http://www.dx.net
       Network Operations Center:  703-903-7412 -or- 888-903-7412