Re: NAP/ISP Saturation WAS: Re: Exchanges that matter...

  • From: Nathan Stratton
  • Date: Fri Dec 20 18:34:16 1996

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Tony Li wrote:

>    Ok, yes they added some memory and it is faster, but they needed to put a
>    MUCH bigger CPU in that box. It was a jump, but not as big as the one we
>    all needed. The 7500 was not any new technology, just adding more of the
>    current. And no we are not tunneling through another backbone, we run our
>    backbone over Cascade 9000 with clear channel DS3s.
>
> You should be more specific about _why_ you want a MUCH bigger CPU.  IMHO,
> the box needs more packet switching capacity (and more backplane
> bandwidth), but there's enough CPU there for the OS.

Yes, the cisco needs more backplane, but the CPU cant keep up. Have you
not watched a cisco meltdown when you lose a few NAP connections. Yes if
you do not want to run a lot of BGP, have small OSPF tables, and don't want
to do a lot of filtering then the 7500 is fine.

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Tracking the future today!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   [email protected]                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."               Matthew 6:34