Re: NAP/ISP Saturation WAS: Re: Exchanges that matter...

  • From: alex
  • Date: Fri Dec 20 14:01:18 1996

Let me add one more word to this discussion. In case of simple and solid
FDDI or Ethernet protocol it's not big chance if the whole switch would be
failed down by one crazy interface card or one crazy router.
In case of ATM nobody can protect the whole ATM system  from being failed down due
to some software bug since 1 / 5 after system was installed, because
the number of different featires in ATM network and ATM interface is more
then 10 - 100 times more in comparasion with FDDI. This means - if your
FDDI switch works fine just now, it's more than 99% it'll work next
2 years (may be it'll be saturated but would not crash totally); in case
of ATM it's more than 20% the whole system would be crashed by some new
neighboar with some new ATM software...

It's not my experience, but one of our partners are debbugging simple
direct ATM link just about 3 months - there is 3 vendors (ATM provider,
ATM's provider vendor, CISCO) and it's not possible to determine why
this link loss more than 50% of packets sometimes. This is due to
ATM is too complex system...

---
Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)