Re: NAP/ISP Saturation WAS: Re: Exchanges that matter...

  • From: Nathan Stratton
  • Date: Fri Dec 20 10:16:58 1996

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Jim Van Baalen wrote:

> I have a question that fits this topic. Why does everybody seem to be so
> sold on Gigaswitch based Xchange points? I know that the busiest, highest
> membership NAPs are of this design, but with all the associated problems

I think the biggest reason the busiest and highest membership NAPs are
using Gigaswitches because they work. When we were looking for a switch for
the Atlanta-NAP we almost with with a Stratacom switch, but the Gigaswitch
looked like a better start. We plan on adding a Stratacom

> It is my opinion that the most promising architecture today is PBNap. The
> StrataCom switches far exceed Gigaswitch in addressing issues such as flow
> control, buffering, and aggregate throughput (which may not be comparable
> when, as with Gigaswitch, port congestion is such a bottleneck). In addition,
> with new line cards due out early next year, the BPXs will support ABR and,
> relatively speaking, huge buffers at high density OC3 and 2 port OC12.

Well when they get that out, and fix a few other problems it may be ready.

> I know that ATM is a nasty word (or should I say acronym) to many on this list,
> but even some of the greatest ATM critics admit that it is a reasonable LAN
> technology. As far as the popular packet shredder (sp?) argument goes, I don't
> think that it relevant on any switch that supports EPD.
>
> Just curious to see other perspectives.
>
> Jim

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Tracking the future today!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   [email protected]                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."               Matthew 6:34