NAP/ISP Saturation WAS: Re: Exchanges that matter...

  • From: Forrest W. Christian
  • Date: Mon Dec 16 01:53:16 1996

I've recently been on a hunt - I'm currently on a contract in the Bay
Area, but I am still doing some sysadmin for an ISP back in montana.

The Montana ISP is Sprint connected.  For my local connection in Hayward,
CA, I signed up with PACbell, figuring that it would do until I found
another provider.  After two months I had had enough and went on a quest
for another provider.

What I discovered is that If I did an extended ping to any provider in my
local calling area, I had at least 5% packet loss (the provider I am
using right now was at 5%).  Pacbell was around 50%.  Others varied.  By
contrast, I can ping any sprint-customer-attached computer and have
almost 0% packet loss (1 out of 1000 lost occassionaly).  Unfortunately I
couldn't find a local provider which was spirnt connected.  (An aside:
anyone who knows  a local priver in hayward which is sprint-connected is
more than welcome to contact me directly :)