Re: Exchanges that matter...

  • From: Stephen Stuart
  • Date: Sun Dec 08 13:34:58 1996

> At the Atlanta-NAP we offer full duplex FDDI, why not try to get MFS to do
> it? Cisco now has a full duplex FDDI card, so you can do 200 Mbs into the
> NAP.

Every NAP with a GIGAswitch/FDDI offers full duplex FDDI; the MAEs,
Sprint, PAIX, and you. Buy a full-duplex-capable card, install it, and
you get full duplex. You, the NAP operator, do nothing; the devices
negotiate in and out of full duplex mode themselves.

I'm somewhat confused as to why you would say you offer full duplex
FDDI in a manner that implies no-one else does. If someone walked up
to your GIGAswitch/FDDI (or anyone's) with a full duplex line card,
they'd get full duplex unless you took some specific action to prevent
it (by, say, putting three stations on a ring), or if you disable it
in management (it comes enabled by default).