Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: NANOG 9 Date Change (fwd)

  • From: Paul A Vixie
  • Date: Tue Nov 26 20:42:15 1996

> This is a great discussion!  Who is going to accummulate and process all
> this data?

As others have noted here today, it is almost impossible to collect
statistics on some IXP's due to the nature of their media or the
programming of the switches.  I wonder if one of our agenda items
during the IXP portion of NANOG can be "would y'all be willing to
let an IXP-centric Vulture(*) collect statistics about whichever of
your router's interfaces connects to the IXP?"  It seems to me that
if we can't collect full mesh switch port statistics, maybe we could
do just as well by collecting data from the ISP routers?

(*) see http://www.vix.com/vulture/, and no this is not a commercial.