Re: Internic address allocation policy (fwd)

  • From: David R. Conrad
  • Date: Thu Nov 21 04:30:56 1996

Jim,

>Also, I suggest that people be informed of the IRE Mailing List
>policies. When I joined the list, I was told by the list operator,
>Mr. David Conrad, that some people on the list requested that
>I "quietly be removed".

This was, according to the people who sent me mail after one of your
many diatribes, due to your performances on various other mailing
lists ([email protected] in particular).  The people who asked that I
remove you from the list did so because they felt you were incapable
of either being productive or acting rationally.

>Instead of removing my name, Mr. Conrad and I agreed that
>it would be best if I not post to the list.

Actually, I believe the agreement was that you were free to post to
the list if you could be constructive.

>I think that people should
>be told that some people on the list would like to be able to
>control who participates.

Well, yes -- in general, mailing lists with a specific task would like
people who can productively contribute to that task and who can
refrain from being needlessly inflamatory and/or posting irrelevant
diatribes.  Very simply, if you can't work and play well with others,
you will likely find yourself unwelcome.

>People should read the exchanges on
>the list with that in mind, and should probably also be cautious
>when they post to the list, because they might be "quietly removed".

As I mentioned publicly, I am very hesitant to take such actions as I
prefer to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.  However, as I
believe it is the responsibility of a working group chair to insure a
working group remains focused on the tasks at hand, people who cannot
will be removed as a last resort.  Sorry if this offends.

Regards,
-drc