RE: Internic address allocation policy (fwd)

  • From: Justin W. Newton
  • Date: Wed Nov 20 14:57:53 1996

At 12:06 PM 11/20/96 -0600, Jim Fleming wrote:
>I have suggested in the past a "neighbor net" approach.
>It is a simple approach in which people on each side
>of an allocation, be responsible for publishing a periodic
>usage report. They would obtain this information from
>their "neighboring" administrator.
>
>This approach can work for /24s, /16s and any size
>allocations, as long as one is aware of who their binary
>neighbor is in the IPv4 address space.
>
>To illustrate a /8 example, Hewlett Packard and Apple
>Computer would be responsible for the report on
>Digital Computer Corporation.
>
>	Hewlett Packard - 15.0.0.0
>	Digital Computer - 16.0.0.0
>	Apple Computer - 17.0.0.0
>	MIT - 18.0.0.0
Jim,
	This lynches it.  You are absolutely insane.  You whine and moan about
having to tell the EvilInternic(tm) about your network, potential
customers, etc etc, yet you believe that DEC would gladly give information
to Apple about their internal network etc etc.  More effort would be sepnt
in court with lawyers haggeling over what DEC had to give Apple and Apple
had to give DEC in order to properly be audited than would have originally
been spent with an audit by an external agency doing the audit.  Or wait,
let me guess DISA wants to be audited by a foriegn company (30.0.0.0 for
DISA and 32.0.0.0 for the foriegn company, 31 is IANA reserved, so I am
assuming that it would be skipped).

Yeah, that.

Justin Newton
Network Architect