Re: Internic address allocation policy

  • From: Matthew Kaufman
  • Date: Tue Nov 19 14:27:01 1996

Original message <[email protected]>
From: Kim Hubbard <[email protected]>
Date: Nov 19, 10:27
Subject: Re: Internic address allocation policy

> Matthew,
>
> The InterNIC bases additional allocation blocks on efficient utilization.
> We can only see the utilization from your SWIPs and RWHOIS info.  If
> you refuse to supply contact information on your assignments, how can we
> tell what your utilization is?
>
> And as for the routing table overload, although the initial allocation
> may be relatively small, it is almost always reserved from a larger block.
>
> Bottom line, to receive additional address space all you have to do is
> the same thing everyone else does - submit reassignment information.  You
> don't have to fly out here, you don't have to be nice to me, just follow
> the basic policies.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kim Hubbard
> InterNIC Registry

If you review the email exchanged between myself and [email protected]
you'll find that several other "requirements" have been put out there for
me to meet. It isn't just "all you have to do is... submit reassignment
information".

Furthermore, my mailbox is filling with stories from people who submitted
reassignment information and were then told "sorry, you conserved addresses
so well that you didn't even use a /19 in 3 months, so you don't get
any more addresses" THAT sure isn't "all you have to do is... submit
reassignment information"

My SWIP and RWHOIS data shows that over 90% of my address space is
allocated and lists contact information. There are only about 16 class C's
where I've listed "subnetted for large numbers of 'workgroup' accounts",
which is something like 3% of my total addresses. This exceeds, by far,
the number of allocated addresses that show up via rwhois and swip for
address blocks held by other providers who are not having problems
receiving addresses.

Clearly the standards are not being applied equally, and the standards
are preventing some people from engaging in this business.

-matthew kaufman
 [email protected]