Re: Internic address allocation policy

  • From: alex
  • Date: Tue Nov 19 13:51:28 1996

>   Clearly some of Matthew's customers are concerned with privacy, and wish to
>   restrict the knowledge of their connection to the Internet, or some set
>   of information related to that connection.  So they wish the publicly-
>   available information to be "sanitized".

>   The NIC already has to base part of it's evaluation of address space use
>   on methods other than SWIPs and RWHOIS data for address space allocated to
>   the service provider which has been used internally by that organization.
'ping' etc., for example. really, is the issue _usage of the addresses_
or _assigment of the addresses_? I can assign any addresses to the
moon's inhabitants.

>   Could not the provider make the assignments to the customer "care of" the
>   provider itself, listing a customer ID or similar, to meet the customers'
>   wishes of privacy; then under an NDA, identification of these customers,
>   with detailed contact info, could be made to the InterNIC?

>   In a previous message, Kim Hubbard wrote:
>   >
>   > >
>   > Matthew,
>   >
>   > The InterNIC bases additional allocation blocks on efficient utilization.
>   > We can only see the utilization from your SWIPs and RWHOIS info.  If
>   > you refuse to supply contact information on your assignments, how can we
>   > tell what your utilization is?
>   >
>   > And as for the routing table overload, although the initial allocation
>   > may be relatively small, it is almost always reserved from a larger block.
>   >
>   > Bottom line, to receive additional address space all you have to do is
>   > the same thing everyone else does - submit reassignment information.  You
>   > don't have to fly out here, you don't have to be nice to me, just follow
>   > the basic policies.
>   >
>   > Regards,
>   >
>   > Kim Hubbard
>   > InterNIC Registry
>

>   --
>   David Carmean           WB6YZM          DC574           <[email protected]>
>           System/Network Administration, Silicon Beach Communications
>   Unsolicited commercial e-mail not accepted.  Violators will be LARTed.

---
Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)