RE: Internic address allocation policy

  • From: Jim Fleming
  • Date: Tue Nov 19 01:09:07 1996
  • Encoding: 85 TEXT

On Monday, November 18, 1996 2:28 PM, Michael Dillon[SMTP:[email protected]] wrote:
@ On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, George Herbert wrote:
@
@ > This should not be happening.  Matthew should not have to fly out
@ > to Virginia to tell someone at InterNIC face to face what he's been
@ > saying in email.
@
@ I agree. But this is business and businesses are based on personal
@ relationships with key suppliers and customers. The Internic IP registry
@ is a key supplier for any large ISP and that means if they have not
@ developped a relationship with the IP registry people during their early
@ days, they will run into this sort of problem when they need the IP
@ registry's help.
@

Hmmm...develop a relationship...are people getting married ?
or just trying to get a government clerk to assign some numbers ?

If people are going to develop a relationship, maybe they should
be attending meetings like the following that was reported in
the October 1996 Internet Monthly Report. Of course to do that,
they would have to be notified. You should note that no notes
or minutes are included, just the following brief mention.

@@@@  ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/imr/imr9610.txt

IP Support

     Kim Hubbard met with Jon Postel (IANA), David Conrad (APNIC) and
     Daniel Karrenberg (RIPE) in California to discuss IP issues.

@@@@@@

Anyone that has not figured out by now that the Internet is a
country club like place where you have the "haves" and the
"have nots", and the "right people" and the "wrong people"
and people with relationships and those without, then you
have not looked very closely at the system.

One would hope that the "system" had been designed to
accommodate an expanding number of people helping to
provide the infrastructure and the commitments needed to
protect some of the precious natural resources of the
Internet. In my opinion, the technical system *has* been
designed this way, but the *people* system has not.

What we now see evolving is a system which does not
protect the natural resources of the Internet but instead
operates to protect the "people resources" of the Internet.
Rather than focusing on the "relationships" of routers
and networks, and routing tables and IP allocations,
we are focusing on relationships of people.

Actually, the people do not probably matter as much
as the money they represent. More and more people
are suggesting that non-Internet meetings be used
to solve problems. More and more, people are talking
about jet setting around the world to participate in
forums. Why ? Because only those people with the
money can participate. The barrier to entry is being
raised to make sure that only the "right" people get
in. The Internet is not being used effectively by the
people who are designing systems to "exclude"
people, rather than "include" them.

I predict that all of this will lead to a new generation
of teachers, students, inventors, citizens, and
government officials building a true Internet using the
current network as a base. People are not going
to continue to tolerate being oppressed by these
policies and systems which are designed to favor
a small elite group of people at the expense of
the performance of the network. The focus needs
to shift back to the relationships of natural Internet
resources and the fragile eco-system that is
required to keep things working.

--
Jim Fleming
UNETY Systems, Inc.