RE: Why doesn't BGP... Why not? I'm not redistributing.

  • From: Chris A. Icide
  • Date: Mon Nov 11 21:05:26 1996

Ed,

	The problem being, you would need state information from the
entire Internet (or at least to the networks that you are trying to reach),
forcing everyone in the path to any of those networks to run the same
protocol and maintain state information.  Currently, the technology to
perform such a function is available only in pre-production equipment.
Most of the core routers of the internet are already struggling with just
maintaining the packet flow.  The addition of a new global state protocol
would bury the things.

Chris

---------- Ed's comments appended

	I'm basically a stub network.  I take routes from 3 AS's right
now, but I don't redistribute anything I learn.  The only
redistribution that goes on for me is in my iBGP peering.

	The convincing argument for me against doing the "intelligent"
route selection has been related to the huge route flapping that
would ensue.  My question is, if I'm not redistributing the routes
(except internally, and I have a certain tolerance for route flapping
internally) then why not do the intelligent route selection?

	(the route selection would of course have dampening parameters
etc.. and be turned off by default, but have the ability to be enabled,
etc)

	Ed Henigin
	[email protected]