Re: Why doesn't BGP...

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Sun Nov 10 10:28:43 1996

> From: Vadim Antonov <[email protected]>
> Regarding BGP metrics -- there's a problem with a single "universal"
> metric in an exterior routing protocol, namely the absense of a single
> authority to assign those metrics.  Different networks may have very
> much confiliciting interests in how to assign BGP metrics.

Wasn't there a draft somewhere along the way on a global guidelines on
how to set the metrics?

> Some time ago i wrote a draft (which didn't get any support and quietly
> expired) regarding BGP metrics -- the idea was to have a vector of
> metrics (one per AS hop) instead of a single scalar metric; and allow
> network operators to calculate weighted sums to obtain the locally
> significant scalar metrics.  I.e. a network operator may decide for
> himself how to interpret BGP metrics coming from different AS-es
> (or by different paths).

Yeah, I seem to remember liking that.  You mean that Tony and Yakov
didn't support it.... ;-)

And some of the other ideas were similar to Nimrod policy selection....

> If there's any interest i can dig the draft out and place it on my www
> server.

Sure.

[email protected]
[email protected]