Re: Why doesn't BGP...

  • From: Avi Freedman
  • Date: Sat Nov 09 13:37:02 1996

> Well, at a minimum you can do a "bandwidth 44210" (or whatever) as part
> of your router configuration to "tell" your router how fast it _can_ go.
>
> How much of this _really_ gets passed on to other nodes via BGP sessions.
> If you hear a route from 4 different links, aren't you simply passing on
> to your neighbor (filters aside for the moment) that you "know how to
> get to that net" regardless of which way you shove the packet at any
> particular time?  That is, do you really pass on the destination link
> info as well as the net info?

What you want is an inter-provider OSPF...
Faster healing.
Link size consideration.
Internal hop-count consideration.
Internal weighting (which BGP has) that would pass between providers.

But yes, you're just saying "I know how to get to X" - or better yet -
"I promise to get to X if you deliver a packet to me destined for X".
The origin info can be interesting but not really used unless there's a
real problem making a decision, in which case it's just there as a
last step against going to pseudo-random numbers.

> Ed Morin

Avi