Re: Why doesn't BGP...

  • From: Avi Freedman
  • Date: Sat Nov 09 08:57:48 1996

> Well, sure, but why should I _have_ to?  I thought we, in part, pay
> the big bucks for routers that are supposed to figure some of this
> stuff out on their own without having to "band-aid" things with AS
> path manipulations, etc.
>
> Ed Morin

I understand that IOS 12.0 will solve the travelling salesman problem
for arbitrary number of cities.  Seems they had to find a way to solve
NP-complete problems in sub-exponential time in order to give us better
algorithms for guaranteed-optimal routing.

Anyway, sorry to be snide - any suggestions you have about algorithms
for exchanging routing data between (or inside of) providers that also
takes into account link size and perhaps hop-count, as opposed to
just AS-PATH, are welcome at the next IETF meeting.

Avi