cisco BGP peer groups

  • From: Mark Turner
  • Date: Fri Nov 08 23:12:45 1996

I know this is not the cisco list, but I'm sounding a warning.

We had a bad, bad, BAD experience with BGP peer groups
recently, which cisco are coming in to discuss.  Symptoms
are your outgoing AS filter lists will not work with *some*
peers!  This can look really confusing if, like us,
you rely on a local peer-session to do sanity
checking of your filter-lists and it shows everything
is OK.

Version is:

IOS (tm) GS Software (RSP-JV-M), Version 11.1(6), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

cisco RSP2 (R4600) processor with 131072K bytes of memory.
R4700 processor, Implementation 33, Revision 1.0

I've talked to at least one other provider who has experienced
similar problems. I've yet to see a bug report from cisco on
this, but would appreciate any comments from other folks
who see similar behaviour (directly to me, I'll summarize).

Oh, and this problem can take several days to manifest
itself, and it seems to have impeccable timing :-)

Mark