Re: CIX routing service (was Re: AGIS/DIGEX)

  • From: Mark Turner
  • Date: Fri Nov 08 22:49:10 1996

On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Avi Freedman wrote:

> Yes, this can be done simply (pretty simply, that is) through the RA,
> but the idea would be to sign up and say "Hey, I don't have time to
> deal with the peering requests, just peer with the MLPA-router and
> I'll hear you and you'll hear me".

I pinged the RA folks about this a few months back, and they said
they tried setting up "open peering" macros at one time without
much interest from ISPs.  Maybe it's time to try again.  The link-level
cognizance of the RA is also a concern, but I understand this is
(still) being addressed.

I for one would like to see the work of the RA continue and grow,
since none of the NAPs themselves seem overly interested in providing
much in the way of "value-added" functionality beyond their link-level
switching (which is not a criticism, just a statement of fact). If
the RA can obtain funding contributions via the NAPs for this
open-peering macro service, then I think this would be a good-thing.

If I could scoop up routes of many of the smaller ISPs through the
RA at any NAP I would - as would many with open peering policies
I suspect.  I wonder what the ratio of open/restricted peering
policies is at the NAPs/MAEs?  If enough ISPs mail me
details of which NAPs they're at and whether they would peer
with everyone or not, I'll summarise and present this info.

Mark