Why doesn't BGP...

  • From: Ed Morin
  • Date: Fri Nov 08 21:45:25 1996

With all the recent talk about BGP, etc., I thought I'd see if anybody
knows the reasoning behind a particular short-coming of BGP that I've
noticed and found particularly bothersome...

We peer, using BGP, with several "backbone" provider networks for transit
purposes.  Some of these links are "faster" than others (e.g. T-3 vs.
multiple T-1 and single T-1) for various reasons.  If our router sees
a route to a particular destination via a "high-speed" link and a "low-
speed" link that has the _same_ number of AS "hops", it picks the link
with the "lowest" IP address!  (At least that's what I'm told and what
I observe...)

Why doesn't BGP pick the link with the highest bandwidth, or, better
yet, pick the link with the highest bandwidth AND least congestion to
label as the "best" available route?  The needed information is avail-
able in the router (and if it was somebody doing BGP from a host that
was separate from the box with the interfaces, well, then too bad I
guess) and can't be _that_ hard to incorporate can it?

I'll get off my soapbox now...

Ed