Re: AGIS v BBN

  • From: Avi Freedman
  • Date: Fri Nov 01 19:59:19 1996

> AGIS upgraded its router at the Sprint NAP to an RSP (from SP/SSP), and at
> the same time had to upgrade the FDDI interface.  It hasn't really worked
> right since.  It turns out through experimentation, any return traffic
> coming through Pennsauken dies on that router.  So we've essentially taken
> the Sprint NAP router off the net while we figure out what's wrong.  [That,
> by the way, is why it's so important to see as many networks in as many
> places as possible.]
>
> We've spent the time since try to determine if we have:
>
> - a FDDI problem

When switching cards/upgrading things, you could try setting the old
mac address in software for the new fddi interface, if the fddi card
itself is new (has a different mac address).  This is a common problem
with hot-swapping ethernets - switches and other routers sometimes don't
expire arp properly.

> - an RSP problem
> - an undesirable SMDS/IOS interaction (we use SMDS to get into Pennsauken
> from our net)

11.0.9 works weel for us on 7505s.

> - some other undesireable hardware/IOS interaction
> - routing or other configuration on the Pennsauken router
> - routing or other configuration on any other router
>
> I'll  let you know what we find out.  We've pretty much eliminated routing
> or FDDI, and are looking at SMDS/IOS or some other config issue.
>
> Peter

These things are a bitch...
Good luck,

Avi