Re: A proposal for reducing routes due to multihoming

  • From: Alexandre Leib Grojsgold
  • Date: Tue Oct 29 13:04:30 1996

> Bill Simpson claims that this idea is ~10 years old, but if so perhaps
> it's time to air it again. I thought of this during the route flap BOF at
> NANOG, mentioned it, and nobody came up with any immediate reasons why
> it wouldn't work, so I'm sending it to the list for further consideration.
>
> It's dead simple, really: Assign address blocks to pairs of providers.
> Both providers announce those blocks all the time, and assign addresses
> out of those blocks to customers who multihome between those two
> providers.

What if the customer ceases to be multihomed? Reassign it to another block?

On the other hand, if a client starts operating as single homed, it will
have to change Ip addresses when getting multihomed.

|  Alexandre Leib Grojsgold                       |  tel: + 55 21 542-2746  |
|  LABORATORIO NACIONAL DE COMPUTACAO CIENTIFICA  |  fax: + 55 21 295-8499  |
|  22.290 Rio de Janeiro - RJ - Brasil            |                         |