Re: Provider credibility - does it matter? was Re: Inter-provider relations

  • From: Andy lague
  • Date: Mon Oct 28 20:09:11 1996

At 03:02 AM 10/27/96 MET, Peter Lothberg wrote:
>> So what's the problem? Basically, one organisation, Ebone, which
>> operates a fairly large pan-European net, won't peer with others. This
>> means that European customers connected to non-Ebone connected
>> providers like Global One lack European connectivity without going
>> through the US. Ebone provides great connectivity at cost, but the big
>> US NSPs making presences in Europe naturally don't want to buy
>> bandwidth from someone like Ebone. We'll see what happens.

Ebone is not the only way to get European connectivity without going to the
US. There are many exchange points in Europe providing local traffic
exchange. Global-One participates in some of these with more in the works.
Ebone is a good last resort (not to be read as default) path to obscure
destinations or to networks that will not peer with commercial networks.

>I don't think this is correct. Ebone peers with other pan-european
>networks of comparable size, IBM, BT and EUnet comes to my mind.
>
>G1 is a customer of Ebone and connects in Paris.

Correct. Also Stockholm.

Regards,
Andy - speaking as a former Global-One employee