Re: Provider credibility - does it matter? was Re: Inter-provider relations

  • From: Jim Dixon
  • Date: Mon Oct 28 13:23:07 1996

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Jian Li wrote:

> > The point is that GSL's peering policies are radically different from
> > those of SprintLink, whereas Cable & Wireless seems to have the same
> > policies worldwide.  Similarly, I know that GSL's prices for transit
> > used to be much higher than SprintLink's and I suppose still are.
>
> As what I know, GSL's peering policies have two parts, international and
> US domestic. The US domestic part is exactly the copy of SprintLink.
> International part is based on the idea of traffic localization.

Fine.  This still leaves Sprint with two very different policies, one
for the US and one for the rest of the world, whereas CWIX apparently
has one policy for the whole world -- or at least for North America and
Europe.  I believe that over the next few years this is how things are
going to go: peering policies and prices for transit will converge, at
least in these two large markets.

Americans tend to forget that Europe has a larger population and more
money than the US; these basic facts are not going to let the current
large imbalances persist.

--
Jim Dixon              VBCnet GB Ltd +44 117 929 1316  fax +44 117 927 2015
http://www.uk.vbc.net  VBCnet West   +1  408 971 2682  fax +1  408 971 2684