Re: BigISP<-->SmallISP peerings

  • From: Robert Laughlin
  • Date: Sat Oct 26 16:24:38 1996

I am trying to feel sorry for the poor burdened Large ISP.....:)

If it was just a matter of money, I would expect the large ISPs could add
to their revenue streams by offering peering at a price to those networks
they would otherwise not peer with.  We have all heard that they are
deluged by requests, right? Maybe there are not enoungh networks
interested in such a service to make it worthwhile.   Wait a
minute here, I thought they were overwelmed by requests....

Personally I question this idea of being deluged, after all there are only
a small number of networks at MAE-East which I believe has more IPs than
any other connection point. And the big guys *are* peered with many of
the networks connected there, so there are only a dozen or so left to
peer with.  Maybe there is some kind of new math working here.

And BTW, I have not found a single large ISP willing to sell bi-lateral
peering to me and I *have* asked for price quotes on this.

Best Regards,
Robert Laughlin

DataXchange                sales:  800-863-1550            http://www.dx.net
       Network Operations Center:  703-903-7412 -or- 888-903-7412