Re: Provider credibility - does it matter? was Re: Inter-provider relations

  • From: alex
  • Date: Fri Oct 25 15:23:18 1996

>   > I think the argument is undermined by the fact that peering in Europe is
>   > in a fairly dismal state.  Were there a MAE-{London, Paris, Prague} I
>   > somehow think that the big five at least might throw a T3 or two over.
>
>   "MAE London" is called the LINX and the T3s have been thrown over.
>
>   We peer with 30 other networks at the LINX in London, including GSL
>   (Sprintlink), Pipex (uu.net), and EUnet GB (AKA PSI).  If you watch the
There is interesting question - does SprintLink use this peering
for the traffic _from USA_ to _you_, or for it's UK  customers only?

We have one example - there is Relcom there, and we are presented on
our M9-IX exchange point. New provider (small-small there, XXX Global
Networks, the Russian branch) asks us to make peering with them.
We asked - if this allow us to get traffic _from_ and _to_ XXX Global
via this link - _no, this will be peering with russian branch only_ was
the answer. Guess what have we answered? /it's not important what really XXX was/

>   Someone more cynical than I might even say that the US company has used
>   the UK company's money to buy the UK company.

>   --
>   Jim Dixon              VBCnet GB Ltd +44 117 929 1316  fax +44 117 927 2015
>   http://www.uk.vbc.net  VBCnet West   +1  408 971 2682  fax +1  408 971 2684

---
Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)