Re: Provider credibility - does it matter? was Re: Inter-provider relations

  • From: alex
  • Date: Fri Oct 25 15:18:32 1996

>   > 1) In case if INTERNET split into US and EUrope parts withouth interconnection,
>   > no too many in USA will notice it, but INTERNET in Europe will die
>   > (moreover, computer's world will die too).
>
>   Don't you believe it.  Over the last year we have seen a steady downward
It was a joke, but unfortunately thete is the piece of the truth in it.

>   drift in the percentage of our traffic which goes to the US -- a 20%
>   change over the last year, I think.
May be, but I have the other examples (there, in Russia, and in some
european ISP) - the traffic _from USA is about 200% of the traffic _to USA.

>   > This explains why we (EUrope) pay for the inter-ocean links. It's reality.
>   No, it's inertia more than anything else.
It the dreams only while...

>   > Then it's became unlimited loop - IP in USA cost less because EUrope pay for it;
>   > that's why interesting services tends to locate in USA, that's why Europe
>   > have to pay for the links, that's why new servers are allocated in USA
>   > where the cost of Internet is less, and so on... -:)
>
>   If you look at the commercial realities, most UK companies putting up
>   Web sites are looking for customers in the UK.  We are seeing more and
>   more companies who are actually looking for customers in their own
>   region: Bristol companies looking for Bristol customers, not UK
>   customers, certainly not American customers.  This is the way that we
>   see the Net evolving: more and more traffic will be local.
Yes, there we have about 2:1 ratio of Local and International traffics,
including _news_ etc.

But - what do you search in the WWW network? Weather - local is in your
network, world - in USA. CNN - go to USA. CIO (Cisco) Online - USA.
And so on...

May be UK is some exception due to English language, I do not know.

>   I think that you are talking more about Eastern Europe, which is several
>   years behind.
You are right - everithing discussed there is actual for Eastern Europe
more than for you.

>   --
>   Jim Dixon              VBCnet GB Ltd +44 117 929 1316  fax +44 117 927 2015
>   http://www.uk.vbc.net  VBCnet West   +1  408 971 2682  fax +1  408 971 2684

---
Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)