Re: Ungodly packet loss rates

  • From: Alex.Bligh
  • Date: Tue Oct 22 20:19:48 1996

> > While there is no difference from a technology perspective,
> > there's also no benefit to be gained by interconnecting large
> > networks at a public (as opposed to private) interconnects.
>
> Sure there is.  Running one larger interconnect has the potential to
> be much less expensive and easier to run than many smaller ones.
> Economy of scale...

For whom? Just as a matter of curiosity, lets say 5 NSPs
happen to share colo/FM at various locations across the US.
What is the incremental cost to them of a back to back HSSI/FDDI
connection? Almost certainly smaller than the lower performance
and greater adminstrative hassle of paying someone else in the
same facility running a NAP to move the packets for you,
which also entails greater risk and unreliability. I would
guess viability of the NAP model vs. the private interconnect
model depends to a great extent on (a) peering policy and
(b) for any given peer, what the traffic between networks is.

Alex Bligh
Xara Networks