RE: Windows/NT to break the Internet?

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Tue Oct 22 01:06:11 1996

On Fri, 18 Oct 1996 11:16:28 -0700  Peter Ford wrote:

>Hank,
>
>Have your tried to replicate your customer's problem?  We have tested
>setting the prefix mask in the IP stack in NT 4.0 and it can be set to
>prefixes longer than 24.
>
>cheers, peter

I have to apologize for the lack of clarity since I was getting the
reports from customers.  The problem is NOT in setting a prefix mask.
The problem is with inverse for subnets.  From the install notes of
Windows/NT (DNS and Microsoft Windows NT 4.0) dated May 12, 1996 (page
28), under the section 'Configuring Reverse Lookup' the doc says, and
I quote:

??? I haven't a clue.  I think there is a bug???

end quote.

The defacto standard for doing subnetting and inverse has been documented
in a draft standard:

ftp://ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-cidrd-classless-inaddr-00.txt

I hope Microsoft can get this fixed since I have had to start allocating
/24s to very small sites in order to bypass this problem.

Hank