Re: Ungodly packet loss rates

  • From: bmanning
  • Date: Mon Oct 21 21:59:20 1996
  • Posted-date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 18:54:40 -0700 (PDT)

> > > In other words, the big players don't like the "open" naps and
> > > are deliberately not installing sufficient bandwidth to them?
> >
> > No, the open NAP's are bad engineering and the big players are fixing the
> > topology by routing around them.
>
> But people keep claiming that some naps are well engineered and have
> excess capacity and that the problem is the size of the pipes leading
> to them.  Adding more pipes is easy enough, leading to the conclusion
> that there are other factors at play.

	In fact... :)

	To borrow from your FedEx model..

	We can build bigger doors (MTU)  but the conveyer belts are stuck
	at 100Mm/sec.  We need faster conveyer belts!

	(waiting for HPPI-64 or G-Ether technologies w/ baited breath :)

	And then watch out 2-4Gbps backplanes... (that is aggregate right?)

--
--bill