Re: More hardware design (was Re: GigaRouter)

  • From: Nathan Stratton
  • Date: Mon Oct 21 21:42:24 1996

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Michael Dillon wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Alexis Rosen wrote:
>
> > In lieu of a real remote console like the one I described in a recent message,
> > Thor and I cooked up the notion of a user-mode demon that tickles a watchdog
> > timer every few seconds. (This is better than putting it in the kernel or
> > init, for a whole lot of reasons.) This will at least deal with the need to
> > reset a box when it dies. But I don't know where to get ISA cards that are
> > just watchdog timers (many CPU cards do come with timers built in).
>
> Check out http://www.etinc.com
> You'll find watchdog timers and other goodies that come in handy building
> routers or even racks of WWW servers (Ethernet bandwidth limiter).

Yep, we use them on our current routers, they are very good.

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Tracking the future today!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   [email protected]                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."               Matthew 6:34