Re: More hardware design (was Re: GigaRouter)

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Mon Oct 21 13:28:30 1996

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Alexis Rosen wrote:

> In lieu of a real remote console like the one I described in a recent message,
> Thor and I cooked up the notion of a user-mode demon that tickles a watchdog
> timer every few seconds. (This is better than putting it in the kernel or
> init, for a whole lot of reasons.) This will at least deal with the need to
> reset a box when it dies. But I don't know where to get ISA cards that are
> just watchdog timers (many CPU cards do come with timers built in).

Check out http://www.etinc.com
You'll find watchdog timers and other goodies that come in handy building
routers or even racks of WWW servers (Ethernet bandwidth limiter).

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: [email protected]