Re: GigaRouter (Was Re: Cisco as Big Brother))

  • From: Curtis Villamizar
  • Date: Mon Oct 21 13:07:33 1996

In message <[email protected]>, Scott Mace writes:
> > I am afraid this discussion is not for nanog, but I can't resist
> > to one simple question:
> >
> > - I have 'gdc dump' in gated, and this dump answers to all my question.
> > Where is this command in IOS? How can I determine if Network-A is
> > redistribute from STATIC to RIP (or OSPF) and is it anounced to
> > the neighbour D?
>
> Its fun doing this on a gated box that is default free. ;-)
>
> Before the advent of gii you had to do a dump to get the information
> contained in sh ip bgp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.
>
> Gated IMO is a good thing.  The problem is the OS/hardware that it
> runs on top of.  I would dred having to install something that needs
> a hard drive to route packets in a light-out POP.
>
> 	Scott

Reminds me of the early 1980s argument that DOS was better because it
ran off floppies and didn't need a disk.

You get a far less capable platform with IOS with no capability at all
for long term logging, no capability for local analysis of logs, etc.
We now have to deploy separate Unix boxes so we have some sort of
intelligent device in the POP to do NM stuff.

Curtis