Re: More hardware design (was Re: GigaRouter)

  • From: Dan
  • Date: Mon Oct 21 10:58:02 1996

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Avi Freedman wrote:

..chop

> Yes, look in computer shopper.  There are some short rack-mount PCs.
> I'm trying to get pricing on them now.  And Crystal makes dream rackmounts;
> 4 across, 8 down in a 7' x 19" rack.  But I suspect they're hideously
> expensive.  They use passive backplanes :(
>
> They refused to even give me a price on just "how much for the case,
> power supply, backplane, and processor card w/ no cpu or memory"?
> I explained that we had to decide on a standard now for colo customers,
> that people walk in with 3' high tower cases and we go "nonononono".
> (Those that don't accept our advise and get Suns).

They're pretty costly, but they run cool, take up wee space and use only
65 watts for the CS500 standard version. We've standardized on them for
our colo recommendation. They charge about $2700 for a case, power supply,
passive backplane, floppy drive and P120 CPU card that comes with video
and all the basic ports. We always source the hard drive and memory
separately due to their exorbitant rates. I never priced one out without
the CPU though I was thinking I'd ask about that next time I call. They're
CPU prices are the most outrageous part, and I keep reminding them that
they're out of line with the industry by a mile. The price differential
between the P120 and the P166 for example is $900! You can get a P200 Pro
for less than that.

...chop

Dan