Re: GigaRouter (Was Re: Cisco as Big Brother))

  • From: Peter Galbavy
  • Date: Mon Oct 21 09:14:23 1996

> But whenever it's done, I'm sure it'll be great. BTW, I'm curious why some
> people don't seem to like the idea. At the speed of modern systems, I
> suspect that loading uncompressed off flopy isn't much faster (if at all)
> than loading compressed off floppy and decompressing. In fact it may
> be slower. I'd test it right now but my arms aren't 4 miles long, which
> they'd have to be to reach the closest floppy drive on one of my NetBSDs...

Certainly likely. It is not at all inconcievable that the function of
decompressing an image is much faster than the I/O operation of reading
it from a slow floppy device.

This thread is starting to really diverge...

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy                                           [email protected]
@ Home                                                 phone://44/973/499465