Re: GigaRouter Latency?

  • From: Nathan Stratton
  • Date: Sat Oct 19 19:37:51 1996

On Sat, 19 Oct 1996, Deepak Jain wrote:

> How does the latency through a Gigarouter compare to the latency of say a
> NetBSD or FreeBSD box with (say) FDDI interfaces. [Ignoring the fact that
> most BSD boxes are running on a single PCI bus]. Basically I am curious
> how much advantage/disadvantage one gets by going from a Cisco to a
> Gigarouter solution based on issues like latency. I am sure the
> difference we are talking about is very slight and <2ms total, I just
> want to get an idea and I don't trust most of the technical sales
> personnel I have talked to to get a straight answer. I am very familiar
> with the latency of BSD (typical) boxes and those of Cisco Routers.

Ok, it is MUCH lower through the Gigarouter. We were using FreeBSD systems
for our routers, but are moving to the Gigarouter for bandwidth and speed.
We started out netrail with cisco 4000s, but soon ran our of ram. We then
had to go to a 7000 just so we could get 64 megs of ram. We thought it was
lame to buy lots of cisco 7000s for only ram (we did not need the
bandwidth of T3 yet). So we built our own routers, and saved lots of
money. I like the Gigarouter because it is very close to my design of a
router (I had this crazy idea of building our own routers/interface cards)
and like the speed and idea.

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Tracking the future today!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   [email protected]                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."               Matthew 6:34