Re: hole punching reality check

  • From: Curtis Villamizar
  • Date: Fri Oct 18 14:57:18 1996

In message <[email protected]>, Randy Bush writes:
> Provider P allocates a block of address space A to customer, I an ISP.
>
> I allocates a /24, call it B, out of that block to one of their customers, C.
>
> C later leaves ISP I and gets a wire directly from provider P.
>
> I wishes to give C time to renumber.
>
> I would expect the world to see the following announcements.
>
> A - I announcing a shorter prefix, A
> B - P announcing a more specific for the /24 allocated to C
>
> Is this not what we all expect?
>
> Why I ask is we have provider P telling I that they should stop announcing A
> and instead announce a bunch of prefixes around the /24.
>
> randy

Let's get the whole picture:

  before the move:

	P announces   A'/L1 to <the world>
	B announces   A/L2  to P  (where L2 > L1)
	C announces   B/24  to B

There is no reason for P to announce anything more specific than A'/L1
to the rest of the world unless B is multihomed.  If there is no A'/L1
aggregate then never mind.

  after the move (if B is single homed to P):

	P announces   A'/L1 to <the world>
	B announces   A/L2  to P  (where L2 > L1, L2 < 24)
	C announces   B/24  to B

There is no need for P to announce anything more specific than A'/L1
if B is not multihomed.  If A'/L1 doesn't exist, there is still no
reason to announce anything more specific than A/L2.

  if B is multihomed:

	P announces   A'/L1 to <the world>
	B announces   A/L2  to P  (where L2 > L1, L2 < 24)
	B announces   A/L2  to <other provider O>
	P announces   A/L2  to <the world>
	O announces   A/L2  to <the world>
	C announces   B/24  to B
	P announces   B/24  to <the world>