Re: BBN outage

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Tue Oct 15 03:09:17 1996

On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, Patrick J. Chicas wrote:

> > > I don't understand how they could have 3 different power systems fail
> > > without a serious operations procedural error.
> >
> > They did not, the transfer switch did.

> > > In 18 years of telecom management I have never seen a "Transfer Switch" as
> > > a component failure.

> I have seen automatic tranfer mechanisms fail but, never the manual
> portion of the switch.

Somone mentioned that they had seen Stanfords generator plant and it was
all dusty. Is it possible that no one knew how the transfer switch worked
or possibly no one knew that it had a manual override? Is there anyone
close enough to Stanford to check up on this stuff?

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: [email protected]