Re: BBN outage

  • From: Dorian R. Kim
  • Date: Mon Oct 14 22:44:07 1996

On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, Patrick J. Chicas wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, Rob Gutierrez wrote:
>
> > Telco wise, BBN does have a nice dirverse system.  Their MCI T-3 is on
> > a microwave that goes to Palo Alto, where it drops off to MCI's bay area
> > fiber ring between San Jose to San Francisco.
>
> Their HUB is connected by one microwaved DS-3? This is not good. Granted,

This DS3 is one of 4 private interconnect BBN has to MCI. I don't think
there's anything wrong with it's current provisioning given that their other
backbone DS3 have diverse routing.. Please correct me if I've missed
something.

-dorian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

rk, or 2) Was not available ...

See my previous comments about rusty generators.

> Telco wise, BBN does have a nice dirverse system.  Their MCI T-3 is on
> a microwave that goes to Palo Alto, where it drops off to MCI's bay area
> fiber ring between San Jose to San Francisco.

Their HUB is connected by one microwaved DS-3? This is not good. Granted,
most DS-3 microwave radios have hot standby radios, muldems ect. on each
end but, they are always ripe for outage due to interference or path fade.
I can see the microwave as a segment of a SONET OC-3 link, only if the
other side is fiber.

> Some of their backbone T-3's
> come into a Pac Bell OC-48, which has an entirely seperate protection
> path into Stanford itself (Stanford alltogether has two Pac Bell OC-48's,
> with a third one planned!).  Another fiber path belongs to MFS for more
> dirversity.  So on that level, they have their act together.

This is good.. How many of BBN's peer connection run over the SONET ring?

Regards

 Patrick J. Chicas
 Email: [email protected]
 The Off-Road Center of The 'Net!