Re: Internet II is coming... (fwd)

  • From: Oded Comay
  • Date: Mon Oct 14 17:46:18 1996

My apologies for sending it to all of you. I am not sure who is
interested in the subject.

Traffic prioritization as implemented by routers is built around an
interface output queue. In the case where a router is connecting a fast
LAN to a relatively slow line, the queue might get built on the slow line
interface (in the outgoing direction) but not the other way around. In the
even more special case (but probably the common one) where the traffic is
asymmetric so incoming traffic is significantly larger than outgoing one,
no queue will be created, and the prioritization scheme will not be
operated at all.

Hope this helps,
Oded.