Re: generators etc...

  • From: James Watt
  • Date: Sun Oct 13 15:57:31 1996

Nathan Stratton writes:
+--------
|>Don't site buildings where there have been floods in the past 500 years
|>and don't site buildings downstream from dams. If a waterproof buildingis
|>built in a flood area, make sure that snorkles rise above the 500 year
|>flood level.
|
|This is a very basic thing and all of us should try to do this.
+--------
Well... Talking to a hydrologist is definitely a good thing (one I know
has a great Hagar cartoon with someone explaining the "benefits" of
living near a river :->) but I'm not sure the "500 year flood" is the
right answer...  Even if it is, you need to worry about "jumps" in the
time series - usually human-induced, e.g. building new dams, diversions,
parking lots, suburbs, etc.

Regards,
-james
James W. Watt,     [email protected]                   Ph: +1 613 591-3600
Newbridge Networks 600 March Rd Kanata ON Canada K2K 2E6 FAX:+1 613 591-3680