Re: Creating exchanges [Was: Re: MAE-East - 30%]

  • From: Che-Hoo Cheng
  • Date: Sun Oct 13 11:22:54 1996

Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

>    From: Dave Curado <[email protected]>
>
>    However, I had huge problems running an ISP in HK.  The telco pricing
>    has always been such that it is scads less expensive to connect back
>    to the US than to another country, even another country just a few
>    miles away.  I keep watching the pricing and goings-on to see if/when
>    there will be a reasonable pricing decrease on bandwidth to Asia, but
>    haven't seen anything yet.
>
> Oh well, mark HK off the list...

Pls don't.  :)  In fact, the situation is the same in almost all
countries within Asia/Pacific.

>    For the time being, it seems that the most affordable solution would
>    be for each country to build it's own exchange, and have everything
>    link back via the US.  (although its silly to have traffic from HK
>    to Bangkok routing via San Jose...)
>
> Well, Hawaii is closer...  :-/

But frankly, there is no incentive to connect to Hawaii or Guam unless
an AP-CIX has really been set up there with significant number of major
participants.  A chicken & egg problem!?

Cheers,

--

Che-Hoo Cheng                       | Email: [email protected]
Data Comms and Networking Section   | URL:   http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/