generators, etc....

  • From: Mike O'Dell
  • Date: Sat Oct 12 15:05:34 1996

Even when you have generators, there are still a myriad of things which
can and do go wrong no matter how hard you try, even with trebly
redundant backups, etc. etc.

A fuel supplier accidently puts half a load of jet fuel instead of #2
diesel in your storage tank, which you won't find until it reloads the
run tank from the day tank.  Floods happen and the water rises taller
than the 3 story snorkle on the diesels. Generators takes a direct
lightning strike and fries house DC power (even inside shielded
enclosures).  A fiber transmission system goes crazy when the control system
is zapped by the lightning strike on the generator. A 200mph hurricane
gust rips a microwave system off the roof (tower and all) and throws it
down on the generators, crushing the exhaust system and the diesels
strangle. (No, I'm' not imagining these.)

We all try very, very hard to make things reliable, but the world isn't
perfect, nor are any of us.  BBN will probably find some things to improve
and change the odds next time. Then it will be someone else's turn to
catch the javelins.

I suggest that neither gleefull hand-rubbing nor "obvious" pronouncements
based on partial knowledge about the real situation will seem quite so
appropriate when it's *your* turn to be downfield from the launcher.

	Peace,
	-mo