Re: Creating exchanges [Was: Re: MAE-East - 30%]

  • From: Dave Curado
  • Date: Sat Oct 12 14:37:26 1996

> Hong Kong looks slightly promising except for the slight problem of
> next summer.  Singapore is probably a no-go because of how anal the
> government is there; all we need is an AP CIX with a host government
> enforced AUP that says "no dirty gifs, no politicallly unacceptable
> speech, etc".

Of course it remains to be seen what will happen in HK next July,
but note that HK has a reasonable sized nap already.  The HKIX.
My understanding is that they are about to upgrade the exchange
to an ATM switch. (whatever)

However, I had huge problems running an ISP in HK.  The telco pricing
has always been such that it is scads less expensive to connect back
to the US than to another country, even another country just a few
miles away.  I keep watching the pricing and goings-on to see if/when
there will be a reasonable pricing decrease on bandwidth to Asia, but
haven't seen anything yet.

I'd love to see someone get an oc3/12/48 pipe from HK to the west
coast, and resell to the 60+ HK ISPs at reasonable prices.  While
in HK a week ago, I was trying to set up a 128K line for a small
organization there.  The cost is in the US$4k range -- I was afraid
to tell those guys what I pay for a 128K bri line here in the US.

For the time being, it seems that the most affordable solution would
be for each country to build it's own exchange, and have everything
link back via the US.  (although its silly to have traffic from HK
to Bangkok routing via San Jose...)

If someone has more recent or more optimistic info, please let me know!

davec