Re: BBN outage

  • From: Nathan Stratton
  • Date: Sat Oct 12 11:55:28 1996

On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Rob Liebschutz wrote:

> I just spoke to their NOC and was told that a power switch that is
> supposed to be able to switch them between 3 different power utilities
> failed at 12:30 this morning (friday).  They bought and installed 2
> large diesel generators today and are hoping to be back up using the
> generators within 30 minutes.

Yep this happens all the time, the transfer switch dies and then you are
screwed because you don't switch to backup power. Your UPS system then run
out of power and you are dead. That is why we are building a manual
maintenance wraparound around the UPS AND the transfer switch so that if
they switch does die you can manually have some guy bypass the switch.

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Tracking the future today!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   [email protected]                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."               Matthew 6:34